Wednesday 2 May 2007

Parliamentary language

Another Wednesday, another Prime Minister's Questions. Once again Blair brushed aside the questions with his usual bluster and statistics. Today's favoured word seems to have been immense. He used the word (or the adjectival immensely) at least seven times, and on three occasions, in answer to questions about MI5's anti-terrorism activities, he used it in a very odd way, e.g. "The committee went into immense detail" and "...looked into it in immense detail."

Well call me a pedant, but to me, details are tiny, not immense; a more appropriate phrase would have been "The committee went into the minutest detail". More worryingly, he also used the word believe seven times. Tony Blair's beliefs frighten me. They're usually presented in the form: "Yes, I've seen the evidence, but I still believe that..." followed by some bizarre assertion that e.g. invading Iraq was the right thing to do, or that ID cards are a good idea.

Which reminds me, I must have a good rant about ID cards before too long. Watch this space.